Welcome, Guest. Please login or register | Contrast:

Author Topic: C# Discord App Tutorial Idea  (Read 462 times)

Mango

• Newbie Contributor

• Total posts: 4

• [Mangos for everyone]

C# Discord App Tutorial Idea
« on: 03 March 2017, 07:49:36 »
This is my more or less first post on any forums besides answering a question or 2...

I had an idea for a tutorial since it's pretty confusing to me and want to implement it into my Discord App and have my brother have access to it when I give him it.

How does an App Config file work and how to implement it into the app for certain things that require them like when you are making a command permission based on a role.
So with my server, i have the roles admin, moderators, members... ect, ect... while my brother has something completely different.

How would I go about this and have it set up in a way he can edit just a text file?
Mango's are good, so are Chocobos. So you shouldn't hate on them, instead love them :)

LunarLite

• Senior Community Elder
  • Junior Contributor

• Total posts: 45

• [Moon of the West]

Re: C# Discord App Tutorial Idea
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2017, 20:09:03 »
[member=15]Mango[/member]  I'm slightly confused by what you want to be honest.

You want to implement a tutorial in your discord application and have it be accessible to your brother?

But you want to add a specific permission that only allows you/him to access it, and since both servers use different roles, it's hard to check permissions?

Does that sum it up?
Find any errors/issues in my threads? TELL ME PLZ.

A cheerful chime. A respectful rhyme.
A sign that all things, must end with time.

Mango

• Newbie Contributor

• Total posts: 4

• [Mangos for everyone]

« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2017, 07:51:40 »

You want to implement a tutorial in your discord application and have it be accessible to your brother?

But you want to add a specific permission that only allows you/him to access it, and since both servers use different roles, it's hard to check permissions?

Does that sum it up?
sorry, I probably wasn't clear about it. It's hard for me to put it into words.
Please bare with me...

So I want to make a config file for my bot.
so you can apply the correct terms according to your server.
So say I have Admin as my highest role on my server, but my brother(or someone else) has, say "Big Boss" as their highest role.
However my bot only can see Admin as highest roles since I have it set that way in the code.

I wanted a way to have a config file you can open up in say Notepad++ and just change "Admin" to "Big Boss".

I hope this is clearer, I just want to know mainly how to get started with doing something like that.
Mango's are good, so are Chocobos. So you shouldn't hate on them, instead love them :)

LunarLite

• Senior Community Elder
  • Junior Contributor

• Total posts: 45

• [Moon of the West]

« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2017, 14:22:58 »

Does that sum it up?
sorry, I probably wasn't clear about it. It's hard for me to put it into words.
Please bare with me...

So I want to make a config file for my bot.
so you can apply the correct terms according to your server.
So say I have Admin as my highest role on my server, but my brother(or someone else) has, say "Big Boss" as their highest role.
However my bot only can see Admin as highest roles since I have it set that way in the code.

I wanted a way to have a config file you can open up in say Notepad++ and just change "Admin" to "Big Boss".

I hope this is clearer, I just want to know mainly how to get started with doing something like that.

That makes some sense to me yes!
So do you want this config to be external? Or perhaps have it be configurable by the discord bot itself?

You could for instance make a static class and save all configurable names/ID's in there and add exceptions to the bot if a one of those isn't found in the current server.

Then finally have moderators be able to adjust those static variables ;)
Find any errors/issues in my threads? TELL ME PLZ.

A cheerful chime. A respectful rhyme.
A sign that all things, must end with time.